Tuesday, May 15, 2012

Touchdown: Booms

Wow. I can’t believe I managed to write all about spring break already – I really thought I would get stuck, go home, and all the effort I’ve put into my blog would result in an endless waste! I guess I am lucky then that all of my friends are studying for finals and I have been watching Netflix for days. To be fair, this is what I planned on doing for the few days after my birthday: Netflix & blogging. After going non-stop, almost literally, for the past month, without a break like this I would’ve died from exhaustion before even making it home. (Disclaimer: the weather has also been awful so it’s not like I’m wasting my last weeks here in my depressing room).

Moving on…

I got home from Prague exhausted, yet unable to rest. The first reason was because I had to revise and hand-in two of my final papers that I had written before my trip. Why this couldn’t wait? The second reason --- Conor and Kayla were getting here the next night! I actually almost totally gaffed up picking them up from the train station (they were coming from their first few days in London)…oops! For whatever reason, in my head, I thought they were getting in around 7, luckily, I checked the confirmation that Conor had emailed me and found that it was actually 17:00 (5PM). As a result, I ran to the station, where it dawned on me again that I had no idea what track they were coming in on, nor did we make a meeting place at all. Double fail. In the end I ran around for 15 minutes and eventually found them. Go team.


Unfortunately it was SO cold while they were here. Conor and I had another miscommunication (haha) which basically lead to Kayla having to wear three sweatshirts the whole time. I still feel bad! It hadn’t been that cold in a while… if only they had stayed a few more days, it was so nice out after they left. Bummer. Because they got here at night there wasn’t much to do but eat. Two very important things happened – I made picky-baby Conor realize his like for Indian Food! Mmmmmm, Mother India Cafe! And afterwards, they experienced the perfection of Deep Fried Mars Bars (well, they had Snickers and Twix, but still…).


The next few days consisted of: a LOT of cream tea at the ever-amazing Clarinda’s Tea Room, the other food perfection that is MUMS COMFORT FOOD, Irn Bru, exploration of the Royal Mile and Edinburgh Castle, climbing to the top of the Scott Monument and almost blowing straight off the top, Princes street tea pot hunt, and Potter tours.

Kayla casting a spell on Conor (haha), and an extremely unhappy Conor on top of the Scott Monument

My favorite part, although, had to be climbing to the top of Arthur’s Seat. Although we almost lost Kayla on the way up (and all of us on the way down), the weather was BEAUTIFUL. It was the perfect morning to go. The cold didn’t even really matter, because it is honestly always freezing up there. One thing that I really love about Arthur’s Seat, other than the views, is that there is always a new way to venture up. So, we took our time, took lots of pictures, and mayyyybeeee almost died on the way down…but, we’re alive now so it’s fine, right?!



Precious

Finally, the third night they were here, mom and dad arrived!

Queen of California – John Mayer
The Age of Worry – John Mayer
Shadow Days – John Mayer

No comments:

Post a Comment