Sunday, January 29, 2012

"Don't say the F word"

It is both obvious and necessary that while I'm here as a student "resident," I am also a tourist! Over the past few weeks I have tried to take advantage of as much as I can as I know the time is only going to start flying from here (as if it hasn't already!).

So far, I've toured Edinburgh Castle (for free thanks to Arcadia for providing Historic Scotland passes), hiked in and around Arthur's Seat twice (though barely living to tell the tale thanks to slippery rocks and improper footwear hahaha) and really just explored the city in and out - there really is SO much to see.

Necessary UK tourist photo

Cliffs surrounding Arthur's seat

Sunset from the top of the cliffs

Almost at the top. Literally Arthur's "seat"
(....it looks like a butt)

Thanks to Meredith for the amazing panoramic from the top!

If you know anything about Edinburgh, there is SO much history in the Old Town, a lot of it centered around the ever-busy Royal Mile, or High Street. It is known as the Royal Mile as it starts at Edinburgh Castle and ends roughly after a mile at Holyrood Palace (where the Queen still stays while in Scotland). Covered with traditional shops, pubs, and restaurants High Street is full of commotion. On the weekends it actually reminds me of Church Street (in Burlington, for all of those non-VT readers) with street performers and people everywhere, seemingly from all around the world. 



I was lucky enough to have a lot of pre-departure info about the Royal Mile, as my wonderful family historian (THANKS NANA!) provided me with it. High Street is covered from side to side with "closes" and "wynds" leading down and around the city. According to the lovely Wikipedia:
  • The Old Town of Edinburgh, Scotland, consisted originally of the Royal Mile, and the small streets and courtyards that led off it to the north and south. These are usually named after a memorable occupant of one of the nearby apartments, or by the occupations of those that traded therein. Generically they are termed closes although individually they may be named entries, courts and wynds, all of which are Scots terms for an alley. A "wynd" was one wide enough to take a cart, a "close" was too narrow for a cart. Most slope steeply down from the Royal Mile. Many have steps and form huge flights of stairs. To be a true "close" it requires to be built on both sides, giving a canyon-like atmosphere. The Royal Mile comprises four, linear, conjoined streets: Castle Hill; Lawnmarket; High Street; and Canongate. 
Anyway, upon coming to Edinburgh, knowing of multiple family connections, I was sure my Nana would have some kind of genealogical assignment for me to complete. And that she did: my great great grandmother, Mary Tague, was born at 5 North Gray's Close, and later moved to 7 Old Assembly Close between 1882 and 1884. When Conor comes to visit we have been instructed to take lots of photos in front of both closes, but to hold my Nana over until April I got a preliminary shot while walking by Old Assembly Close the other day:

(I was a little hesitant putting this up here, DEFINITELY have to get a better one when Conor is here....)

While history isn't really my favorite subject, it's hard not to be interested in your own family. Just thinking of the life they had in the 1800s, especially compared to now, is amazing. And I am so lucky to have access to so much of it! What would I do without you, Nana?!

No comments:

Post a Comment