Tuesday, January 24, 2012

introduction part II

Now that I got that first entry out of the way, I am feeling a lot better about consciously wanting to update this. Hopefully this post will not be as long and daunting as the last - and with upkeep the following will be easy to write.

I already talked about flat mates, friends, iPhone withdrawal, dentist paper, etc.....so I guess it's time for the inevitable: school. There is not a lot I can say because quite honestly, I really don't understand it either. And quite frankly I really don't care.....yet, hahaha (again, sorry Mom). The courses (not classes) I am taking are: Creating Scotland (ZzZzZzZz), Doing Survey Research, and Religion and Society. The second two are "honours" courses, meaning third and fourth year (junior or senior). The weird thing about class here is that it really...doesn't happen. The Scotland class meets three times a week for 50 minutes, along with another 50 minute tutorial, pretty understandably relatable to home University classes. But the honors classes are a completely different story. Both meet about 1.5 times a week (not worth explaining further) with no real expectation. Basically, you get a list of about 25 books (not exaggerating) and pick "what you think will be important" to read. Yeah. Soooooo....I don't know about that one. I guess we'll see how this continues throughout the semester. Oh, and the best part is, all of your grades are determined pretty much by ONE 5000 word paper. HA.

I thought that taking Creating Scotland would be both beneficial and interesting, seeing as I will be here for the next 5 months. Well, I know it's only been a week, but as of yet, it's been somewhat painful. Rather than the anthropological/historical approach I thought it would be going in, the class is actually 50 minutes of detailed descriptions of the bark on a tree. I feel like I'm reading The Hobbit all over again (that is not a good thing). Ugh.

Back to the good stuff. Actually, this isn't so good either....but I PROMISE I'm having a good time! I promise!!!! Anyway, I don't have much to say about the food. It's not pretty. Thank God for Nutella and green tea. I don't think people here eat fruits and vegetables. Seriously. And even when I manage to get some, I try not to think about where it's coming from. On the other hand, the UK is in fact the land of CADBURY CANDIES!!!!! I don't know what the US is doing, but they really should invest past those cream eggs that come out during Easter. Cadbury Candy is just oh so sensational. Definitely made with a lot of magic, a little love, and probably some form of addictive drug. 


Specifically, Cadbury CRUNCHIES are the beeeesssssttttttttttttttt EVER. I don't even remember why/how I started eating them when I was little. I can remember being excited the first time I went to Ireland that I would be able to buy them. Then, again, the next time. And at some point OOP! in Providence sold them (RIP). I went through a short period of withdrawal until the lovely Jamie Hollands so nicely brought me some back from England this summer. And now I am here living in the motherland of Crunchies! ....Although I do wish I could eat an apple without being worried about my health....

No comments:

Post a Comment