Friday, February 3, 2012

Quack

Learned at Mary King's Close: certainly why everyone is/was afraid of doctors.

Generally, in the time of the plague in Edinburgh, there was one doctor who "treated" those who contracted it. I say "treated" because what they did to the patients I would hardly call any kind of helpful treatment. If you feel so inclined to know what they did, you can look that up yourself. Yuck. Anyway, the doctor was paid about 100 pounds a month (a HUGE amount of money), that is although, if he lived to collect it. Here is a recreation of what they wore:


I guess it was a general belief that evil was immune/afraid of ravens. That struck me a little funny because of Stephen King's "The Stand," but hey, I guess the Scots didn't have the luxury of Stephen King in the 17th century. Anyway, the beak looking mask would be stuffed with herbs in order to act like somewhat of a gas mask while treating patients. It also just made them look ridiculous and probably sneeze a lot, but I guess that's better than the plague (which they most likely contracted anyway???......)

Doctors = Ravens = Birds/Ducks = QUACKS!

No comments:

Post a Comment