Thursday, March 8, 2012

Things I Miss: Volume 1

This Saturday marks the two month point of my arrival in Edinburgh. Every time someone asks me, from home or otherwise, how my semester is and how I like Scotland, my usual reply is, "Do you even need to ask? I never want to leave!"While that still remains true, haha, there are a few things I DO miss.
  • ICED COFFEE: This is a big one. I had no prior idea coming here that my addiction would be forced into sobriety. I would also like add, before I go any further, that I enjoy REAL coffee -- none of that "French Vanilla XX" garbage. Thanks to taste tests from my dad when I was a lot younger, I have never been a sugared coffee offender. Additionally, I am not just referring to Dunkin' Donuts. There are Starbucks and other coffee shops all over the place - just without the iced option. While I still drink hot coffee here though only occaisonally, and actually A LOT of tea, I still miss the iced. It's not like I need one everyday or anything, but sometimes, I'd like a little caffeinated refreshment. Mmmmm. Mom and Dad, I expect to have one waiting for me on May 26th. You know what they say: once an addict, always an addict.
  • WORKING DRYERS: I know a lot of people hate doing laundry, but for me, other than the folding, it really doesn't bother me. What does bother me although, is the lack of working dryers in my flat. I had heard through other students that they "didn't really work" but I still figured I give it a try anyway. My first attempt, they provided a 40% dry. My second, 10%. And today, my third, I think they came out more wet than I put them in. Not a BIG deal, but the fact that I not only paid a few pounds for this, but also that I will now have half of my wardrobe hanging around the limited space my room provides for the next 3 days is pretty annoying.
  • WORKING INTERNET: The unbelievable incapability of the internet anywhere, other than the Uni campus, in addition to the complete lack of care or help from the Accommodations office and the actual Network "providing"it is probably the most unnerving thing I have encountered here so far. I can't even get into it.
  • LAKE CHAMPLAIN SUNSETS: On a lighter note, haha, while I am NOT missing UVM Spring Semester weather, I do, like anyone who has spent any time in Burlington should, miss the amazing sunsets on Lake Champlain.
  • PANDORA: While anyone with slightly above the curve internet knowledge can make up for the lack of Hulu access outside of the US (I'm saying it's really easy to find TV shows streaming online), finding an alternative to Pandora is a little more difficult. Spotify, although popular, isn't really doing it for me, nor is it really what I'm looking for. I use Pandora to study/do homework virtually everyday at home. Maybe that's why I haven't really been "into" school? (: Just kidding Mom.....a little. 
  • TALKING ROOMMATES: I know I only briefly mentioned my roommates in one of my first few entries, but since then, nothing has changed. One guy, who was another study abroad student, I'm pretty sure moved out. I only saw him once. The only two other girls in the flat...I've also only seen once. No exaggeration. That leaves Jonathan and Max - while I awkwardly encounter them in the kitchen a few times a week, if not daily, they've probably said 30 words to me, cumulatively. Yeah. I've given up on them! It's nice to have my own space, but I wish it wasn't so weird when I do see them.
  • FRIENDS & FAMILY: Yeah...I GUESS I had to add this one in. Emphasis on the "guess." I'm actually kidding this time. I, OF COURSE miss my friends and family a ton! I really wish sometimes that everyone I love could be here with me, experiencing what I am so lucky to be living in.



Hopefully I'll make a Volume 2 soon. Stay tuned!

No song today, instead Creating Scotland class, haha. Coincidentally the topic today is Gaelic Poetry/Song. Sounds interesting right? Not so much. 

No comments:

Post a Comment