Thursday, March 22, 2012

Who Ya Gonna Call?

Greyfriars Cemetery (Hey Dad!) and Kirkyard have become pretty well known through the media over the past few decades – many can relate to the story of Greyfriar’s Bobby, and of course Harry Potter (more detailed Harry Potter/JK Rowling post to follow soon).


According to Wikipedia:
“The Greyfriars Cemetery is reputedly haunted. One such haunt is attributed to the restless spirit of the infamous 'Bloody' George Mackenzie buried there in 1691. The 'Mackenzie Poltergeist' is said to cause bruising, bites and cuts on those who come into contact with it and many visitors have reported feeling strange sensations. A schoolboy, hiding in the vault to escape a beating from a master at George Heriot's School, supposedly got trapped here and lost his mind on being confronted by the ghost. Visitors who take a ghost tour, which has access to the Covenanters' Prison, have reportedly emerged with injuries they have no recollection of sustaining. Even more interestingly, a number of deaths have taken place in the Kirkyard itself. The television show Scariest Places on Earth featured Greyfriars Cemetery.”

Let me just say, that while I knew it was supposedly “very haunted” I did not know any of that information about the actual hauntings until just now after looking that up. Wow. Next time I go back, I don’t think it will be a night. Anyway, a few nights ago Audrey and I were looking for something to do after class one night and decided to walk over there to find some of the Harry Potter graves (like I said, more detailed Harry Potter post will be added soon!). We didn’t really think about the time/sun and ended up getting there when it was virtually dark. So, we didn’t see any Harry Potter grave stones, but we did decided to stay and walk around. It was pretty creepy but I definitely was nervous or scared to be there. And I got home virtually unscathed – no mysterious bites or scratches. But upon uploading Audrey’s pictures later, it proved that we otherwise maybe SHOULD have been. I can’t really say I previously had an opinion of the existence of ghosts nor do I still, but DAMN! CHECK OUT THESE ORBS!


Pretty frightening! But at least they’re just a few strange photos and not the Stay Puft Marshmallow Man. But just in case, Bill Murray, where are you?!


I still plan on going back. I need to find Tom Riddle! Greyfriars is also home to the worst poet in Scotland: William McGonagall (I know, more Harry Potter).

Stereophonics - Dakota

No comments:

Post a Comment